Anthony O has joined the chronicle!
New York, the city that never sleeps. An Ivory Tower. A cesspool. Both Babylon and Bohemia. Home to those who call themselves Sabbat. Denizens of the night, they cry to defy the tyrannous stars and slake their thirst upon those who would see them kneel. Still, they stand at a precipice of inevitability. Can the children of Caine stay united in their holy war, or will they fall upon themselves once more? Only time will tell, and the end of days grows closer with each passing night...
Kings of New York is a One World by Night, Sabbat Vampire, Mind's Eye Theatre game hosted the 4th Saturday of every month.
For KoNY's House Rules: Please see here.
For KoNY's Website, please see: kony.ne-gamer.com
For KoNY's Meetup site please see: http://www.meetup.com/Kings-of-New-York/
For OWbN Sabbat, please see: sabbat.owbn.net
KoNY NPCs and NPC Packs: http://kony.ne-gamer.com/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Packs
KoNY Vicissitude Modification Rules: here
KoNY Blood Magic House Rules: here
KoNY craft rules: here
KoNY Journal Entry Format: here
KoNY Retainer Rules: here
KoNY City and Chronicle Sheet: here
Rock Paper Scissors Generator: here
KoNY OOC Email list: We can also be reached on the firstname.lastname@example.org
Anthony O has joined the chronicle!
Chris G submitted a new character AW
Chris G has joined the chronicle!
Joey M has joined the chronicle!
January 29th, 2010
Pay Attention, kids, this WILL be on the Final Exam:
Kings of New York House Rules and Guidelines
Version 2.1: IRA (Ian, Ryan and Aaron)
Special thanks to: Rob, Ross, Pedro and Mike
January 22, 2010
1) The Storytellers reserve the right to make any ruling they see fit. If it is a ruling you disagree with, you may state your objection ONCE, but do not ruin a scene or interrupt the flow of the game in order to challenge a rules call. Repeatedly challenging the Storyteller’s authority or the adjudication of challenges will not be tolerated.
2) PCs that have not been submitted to the Kings of New York Chronicle at www.Puppetprince.com will not be recognized as active PCs at Kings of New York. If you wish to play your Character at Kings of New York, you must submit it on Puppetprince and it must be approved by a Storyteller.
3) PCs may only use one out of clan advanced Discipline while attending Kings of New York. Others may be purchased for travel. Visiting players with more than one out of clan advanced Discipline must choose which one they will use prior to signing in, and said Discipline will remain the only advanced out of clan Discipline they can use any time they attend Kings of New York.
4) Kings of New York permits PCs limited use of form powers conferred by out of clan Disciplines. PCs possessing the following powers out of clan: Shape of the Beast, Mist Form, Horrid Form, Blood Form, Tenebrous Form, Skin of the Adder and Form of the Cobra must consult a storyteller, and may be asked to choose which out of clan Discipline's form powers they wish to use while in attendance at Kings of New York.
5) Kings of New York observes the “Double-Ties” rule, meaning if a PC possesses advanced Celerity as well as advanced Potence, they are considered to win ties twice on offensive brawl and melee challenges as long as they bid both a dexterity related and a strength related trait on the challenge. If a PC possessing both advanced Celerity and advanced Potence would be forced to lose ties either through wound penal
6) Potence confers no defensive bonuses on combat challenges. You may apply Potence to contested challenges where your enhanced strength would be a mitigating factor, such as during a grapple.
7) PCs may only bid a maximum number of traits equal to double their current generational maximum. Any additional bonus traits they might possess do not count for the purposes of comparing on ties and overbids. If a PC were to possess a total number of traits in excess of double their generational maximum, and were to lose a challenge that would result in the loss of a trait, they would decrease their trait total by one, but would still be able to bid double their generational maximum. (EX – a 13thGeneration vampire currently possessing a total of 22 traits would only be able to bid 20 on any given challenge, but if she were to lose a challenge that would cost her a trait, her trait total would decrease to 21, and she would continue to bid 20 traits on the next challenge.)
8) To learn any combination Discipline, a PC must possess at least one of the contributing Disciplines in clan, and the PC must have been in play for at least one year. PCs must have an appropriate teacher for all combination Disciplines. Visiting players who possess combination Disciplines but do not meet the above requirements will not be granted permission to use those combination Disciplines at Kings of New York.
9) Powers and Abilities detailed in Clan Books are Clan specific.
10) Failing a frenzy challenge does not bestow any negative traits upon a PC (unless they possess the Gangrel clan flaw). Additionally, bidding a virtue trait for a retest on any applicable challenge and losing does not cost the PC a permanent virtue trait, the trait is simply lost for the night. If a PC fails a Path check in such a fashion, the loss of the Path trait is permanent, but they may buy the trait back with experience points.
11) A PCs who possess the Instinct virtue attempting to “ride the wave” during frenzy must make an Instinct check at the beginning of every round they wish to direct their frenzy.
12) A PC who possesses the Instinct virtue may not spend Willpower to negate a frenzy. Instead they may expend a willpower trait for a retest to direct their frenzy for one round.
13) If a character possesses double the virtue traits of a frenzy provoking stimulus, they do not frenzy.
14) A PC may not initiate mental or social challenges while in frenzy except for the purposes of intimidation.
15) A PC may only use their in clan Disciplines and the three physical Disciplines while not in control of their frenzy. (Ex – A Toreador who fails to “ride the wave” cannot transform into Horrid Form while in Frenzy. If she activated the power prior to losing control of her beast, the power would remain in effect. she could, however, use Dread Gaze since she has Presence as an in clan Discipline and it is used for the purposes of intimidation.)
16) A PC in frenzy does not need to bid a trait while resisting mental and social challenges. The PC bids “frenzy” instead.
17) A PC in frenzy receives a free retest to resist mental challenges that would directly affect their behavior (Ex: Command, but not Vanish from Mind's Eye).
18) In order to call a negative trait upon a Samedi, Nosferatu, Gangrel or Harbinger of Skulls that results from their clan flaw, a PC must be able to see that character’s true visage. Additionally, PCs must wear an item card detailing any readily visible negative traits they possess that result from appearance, but may cover said card when using Mask of 1000 Faces or any other power that hides their true form. (EX – a character who is cowardly need not wear a card, but a character who is ghastly would.)
19) PCs are limited to using one carrier attack per round. This means PCs may not use Burning Touch, Bonecraft, and Withering all at the same time. Choose one. Unless the power specifies otherwise, a carrier attack may be delivered through a strike – which requires a physical challenge. Striking a character to deliver a carrier attack in such a fashion deals any damage that would normally result from the PC’s brawl attack, including additional damage from other sources. (EX – a puissant vampire in horrid form delivering Quell the Beast through a physical attack would initiate a physical challenge with his opponent. If she succeeds, her strike deals 3 levels of lethal damage and delivers the Quell.) Carrier attacks can only be delivered on normal actions during combat rounds. This means that a PC must forgo their Alacrity action in order to use a carrier attack while also using Celerity.
20) PCs are not required to declare their ability to throw the Bomb or win on ties.
21) Form powers that confer physical bonus traits do not stack. (EX – PCs cannot use Horrid Form and Wolf’s Claws or Shape of the Beast and Skin of the Adder at the same time). The only exception to this rule is Black Metamorphosis, which confers bonus social traits not physical traits. The Clumsy trait bestowed by a successful strike from a character using Black Metamorphosis does not count as a carrier attack.
22) A PC may either bite or drink from a victim in a single action. A PC may only drink three traits of blood in a single action once per turn.
23) A PC may take a single step and act during a combat turn without incurring any penalty. A PC may take up to three steps and still act, but incurs a -1 trait penalty while doing so. A PC may take up to six steps during a single turn, but may not act while doing so. The length of a PC's step is considered to be one yard, and will be measured by the pace of a Storyteller if a disagreement should arise.
24) PCs within less than six steps of each other are considered to be within Melee range. PCs at or beyond six steps are considered at range for the purpose of making ranged attacks.
25) Jumping is scaled according to the following conditions: Vertical = 1 yard (step), Horizontal = 3 yards (steps), +1 yard for a 3 step running start. Each level of Potence adds 1 step to the total distance jumped. A PC begins a jump on their first available action during combat rounds, and the jump is considered a full turn action. A jumping PC lands after celerity actions, but before the end of the round. Extra actions may be not be performed while jumping.
26) Ability specializations cost 1 experience point to develop and may only be taken if a character has at least three levels of the appropriate ability. Since specializations require intense training and dedication to acquire, PCs may only purchase one at a time. Players wishing to create new characters with pre-existing specializations must consult a Storyteller.
27) Only one level of a Crafts, Hobby/Expert ability, Lore, or other unique ability may be purchased per month. Only one level of an individual Background may be purchased per month at Storyteller discretion.
28) Kings of New York observes the two-weapon combat rules presented in Dark Epics. This means that any character may use two weapons simultaneously as long as they are ambidextrous. Doing so adds an unnamed bonus trait to their total traits for comparing on ties and overbids. If a PC possesses both ambidexterity as well as a specialization in two-weapon combat (which requires least 3 levels of the appropriate type), they may add the second weapon’s bonus traits as well as the unnamed bonus trait to their total for comparing on ties and overbids. While firing two weapons PCs are considered to be staggering their attacks; which means they can only take advantage of one weapon’s special properties at a time, but may alternate between them. Ammunition is NOT expended for both weapons at the same time. A weapon’s rate applies to the number of times a PC can add the weapon’s bonus traits to their total. (Ex: If you are taking three actions per turn, but one of your weapons only has a rate of two, you do not receive its bonus traits on your third attack.) PCs can only benefit from an additional weapon’s bonus traits if they have at least one level of the specialized ability. If they expend all their firearms retests they are no longer able to benefit from using the bonus traits of a second gun, since the bonus traits are gained as a result of the specialization.
29) Kings of New York uses the rules for modern weaponry contained in Dark Epics and the rules for archaic weaponry contained in Faith and Fire.
30) Kings of New York observes the use of a free retest on offensive combat challenges performed while a PC is using a ranged weapon against an opponent who does not possess a means of making ranged attacks of their own. This “Ranged Fire” retest only applies when there are six or more steps separating the two PCs.
31) The Blind-fighting ability is only used to counter darkness as it applies to brawl and melee attacks. It does not apply to ranged combat. It does not remove the two-trait penalty for fighting in the dark, that is the function of basic Auspex and basic Protean.
32) Willpower may be spent to remain active during the day at a rate of one willpower per hour, up to a total number of hours equal to a PC's path rating.
33) A PC does not need to spend a willpower to activate Iron Will. They simply receive the bonus traits and free retest.
34) Kings of New York will observe the revised rules for linguistics and its interaction with the Natural Linguist merit as listed in KotE until Ian revises it.
1) Characters are created as per Laws of the Night, Sabbat Guide. The maximum number of free points available to a PC during creation is 21. These may be obtained from the following sources. All PCs start with 5 freebies. PCs can take up to (5) negative traits, (7) points in flaws, a derangement (2 points), and may sacrifice a path trait (2 points) for a total of 21 points. Additional flaws may be taken, but PCs will not receive extra points.
2) PCs may purchase basic levels of the eight cardinal Disciplines even if they are out of clan for three points each with free points during character creation. No PC may start with intermediate or advanced out of clan Disciplines.
3) Up to 7 points in Merits may be purchased at character creation. A PC may purchase more merits later at double their cost with Storyteller approval.
4) The following Merits are BANNED at Kings of New York, and cease to function while in attendance: Additional Discipline, Alternate Sense, Destiny, Gnosis, Guardian Angel, Life Giver, Lucky, Nine Lives, Pure Blood, and True Faith. Other Merits not found in Laws of the Night, the Sabbat Guide or the Guide to the Camarilla are subject to Storyteller approval, and may be stripped from your sheet at any time.
5) The following Merits are RESTRICTED at Kings of New York and require Storyteller approval: Ability Aptitude, Acute Sense, Ambidextrous, Berserker, Celestial Attunement, Innate Magical Ability, Magic Resistance, Medium, Oracular Ability, Reputation, Revenant Disciplines, Sanctity, Sire's Gift, Supernatural Affinity, Unbondable, and anything from Laws of Elysium or other second edition MET books.
6) All merits and flaws are subject to Storyteller Approval.
7) A PC may not start with more than 3 points in any background without Storyteller approval. No PC may start with more than 3 levels of any single Influence.
8) A PC may not start with more than 4 levels of any single ability.
9) A PC may not start on a Path of Enlightenment without Storyteller approval.
10) Panders randomly select their Disciplines by drawing from a deck of cards. No Pander may start with Thaumaturgy or any other form of Blood Magic as an in clan Discipline.
11) A PC may not be from a Bloodline or Clan other than the 13 commonly recognized by the Sabbat. Anyone wishing to play a Blood Brother, Harbinger of Skulls, Kyasid, or anything else that is Rare and Unusual must consult a Storyteller and may need to approach the One World by Night Council to receive their permission.
HOUSE RULES: BACKGROUNDS
1) PCs may only purchase one level of an individual background per month, and may only do so with Storyteller approval.
2) Allies: Can possess a maximum number of influence traits or specialized ability traits equal to their level. These traits can only be used once per game session.
3) Contacts: Functions as per LotNR. Contacts can only be used to gather information.
4) Domain: Represents the territory that a PC claims within the city. It provides a basic haven (a place to sleep during the day), in a neighborhood that the PC can feed in with relative safety. Domain is scaled according to geographical area. Each point represents an increasing number of city blocks and every odd level provides an additional basic haven. When a PC decides to hunt either at the beginning of game or during the course of the game with a proper allotment of travel time, they may spend a number of temporary Domain traits. Each trait spent allows them to make a feeding challenge without worrying about "bad things" happening. Domain provides a secondary function that affects the blood available to a Pack at the beginning of each game session provided they have nominated an Abbot to oversee the Pack's needs. PCs can purchase individual Domains, which may be combined with the Domains of their Pack to form mutual territories controlled through cooperation in a manner similar to combining Influence. Basic havens may be fortified using the Haven background. If you're claiming territory in the City, or want a safe place to sleep, you've got to buy this. And if you don't have this, you may wish to make friends with someone who does.
5) Fame: Each level corresponds to an increasingly broad geographical area. The extent of a PC's Fame may require Storyteller approval and permission from the One World by Night Council. Visiting PCs may attempt to use their Influence at Kings of New York, provided they are sufficiently famous.
6) Haven: Is used to fortify already existing havens. A PC must possess at least one level of Domain in order to begin purchasing the Haven background.
7) Herd: Can be used interchangeably in any combination either at the beginning of the game, or during game with an allotment for travel time and availability.
8) Influence: Functions as detailed in both LotNR and Dark Epics in that PCs receive both influence actions and endeavors at the appropriate levels once a month. This means that a PC with 1 level of High Society Influence could score some hard to get tickets as well as initiate a level 1 trace once per month. Starting PCs may not possess more than 10 levels of influence, and cannot manage a number greater than the sum total of their mental and social attribute traits. Specialized influence endeavors function as they are listed in Dark Epics with the following exceptions:
SUBJECT: [Last game date] Influence Use
Body and Text as follows:
Character Name: [Character Name]
Player Name: [Your Name]
Influence Pool: [Influence area]; [Level]; Source: [the influences source - self, combining PC's name, allies background, etc]
*Repeat for each influence area and areas gained from sources other than “self”*
Influence Endeavors: [Endeavor type - attack, grow, trace, etc]; [Total levels used]; Total EL: [Total effective level]
Primary Influence: [Primary area used with source = "self"]; [levels used]
Boost [Influence holder's Name]: [levels used]; EL: [Effective level]
Combine Influence: [Combine area]; [levels used]; EL: [Effective level]
*Repeat for each combine from a different source*
Description: [One to two paragraphs explaining the endeavor]
*Repeat as needed for each separate endeavor starting from Endeavor Type*
Example of an endeavor submission:
SUBJECT: 6/5/2008 Influence Use
Character Name: Teddy the Ripper Ruxpin
Player Name: John Smith
Occult; Lvl: 3; Source: Self
Police; Lvl: 2; Source: Self
Street; Lvl: 3; Source: Self
Street; Lvl: 4; Source: Allies Background
Street; Lvl: 2; Source: Loan-Johnny Rain
Attack; Total Lvl: 11; Total EL: 7
Primary Influence: Street; Lvl: 3
Boost Influence: Police; Lvl: 2; EL: 1
Combine Influence: Street; Lvl: 4; EL: 2
Combine Influence: Street; Lvl: 2; EL: 1
Description: The Skull Kickers (my street gang) will be making a push into the Night Bloods' territory (Mr. Green's Street Influence - obtained through a previous successful Trace). They will be attacking the Night Bloods in all their local hang outs and spread the word on the street that their turf is now under Skull Kicker rule. Since this is a big push, the Kickers know some help will be needed in order to expand. They bring in the West Side Riders (Johnny Rain's Street influence) and a few of the small groups that are looking for a way into the big time (from my Allies). My cop on the take (Police influence) will ensure that the local patrol officers will act on “tips” and arrest the more difficult to reach Night Bloods. Once the Skull Kickers take the territory, street corners will be issued and pay-offs will flow. A good deal for all, except the Night Bloods.
Grow; Total Lvl: 3; Total EL: 3
Primary Influence: Occult; Lvl: 3
Description: The White Flame Book Store (my Occult Influence) will be hosting free astrology and various other “new age” readings and services as well as a sale to commemorate its one year anniversary. Parties shall be held in the establishment during the weekend for some small talk and general networking.
9) Mentor: Learning out of clan Disciplines from a Mentor requires a successful static challenge using Mentor as a retest. Failure of this challenge decreases the level of a PC's mentor by one. Using a Mentor to lean an advanced out of clan Discipline permanently decreases the mentor background by one level. A PC may only have one mentor at a time and it can never be bought up unless they leave their Mentor for a new one, which the PC must purchase separately. If a PC's mentor dies due to story progression, the Storytellers will create a new mentor of equal level to the one lost fitting to the overall story at no additional cost.
10) Ritae: Uses the Rituals ability as a retest and scales as follows: Level One: 3 Auctoritas Ritae. Level Two: 9 Auctoritas Ritae and 3 Ignoblis. Level Three: All Auctoritas Ritae and 9 Ignoblis. Level Four: All Auctoritas, 20 Ignoblis, and you may begin creating your own Ignoblis Ritae. You are aware of local pack-specific Ritae. Level Five: All Auctoritas and 40 Ignoblis and you may create new Ritae. If it exists, you've heard of it.
11) Retainers: A PC is limited to 5 retainers. Retainers that are used in combat behave according to Storyteller discretion. Each class of retainer functions as follows:
HOUSE RULES: DISCIPLINES
1) Animalism: Feral Whispers does not allow a PC to communicate with Garou or other Betê. Quell the Beast requires a physical challenge or direct eye contact (see Dominate) before the Social Challenge is initiated. The PC's Beast returns at the end of the Scene after successful use of Drawing Out the Beast.
2) Auspex: Each level provides a +1 trait bonus for the purposes of resolving ties and overbids with Obfuscate and disbelieving Chimerstry. If there is a full category difference (IE: Basic vs. Intermediate) the PC with the higher level receives a free retest on the challenge. If there is a two-category difference, the PC with the higher level is considered to automatically win the challenge. The user of Heightened Senses must declare which senses they are heightening at the time the power is activated, otherwise all of their senses are considered to be heightened. Aura Perception is a static challenge with no traits risked and retested with Investigation. Telepathy does not allow a PC to communicate with Spirits or Wraiths. A PC using Psychic Projection may utilize any of their mental and social Disciplines including those that require the expenditure of blood traits (excluding those that require physical contact) but are required to spend a willpower point and “materialize” for a turn in order to do so.
3) Celerity: PCs may not initiate Mental and Social challenges while acting at Alacrity against other PCs also moving at Alacrity. If a PC sacrifices his Alacrity action in order to initiate a mental or social challenge during normal actions, he is considered to go first regardless of trait maximums. A PC may use any mental or social Disciplines that they possess while using Celerity, so long as those challenges are resolved during normal actions and they are able to expend any additional traits required to use said power. Carrier attacks may only be made during normal actions in Celerity. PCs do not need to declare use of the Bomb if they possess Rapidity. Extra actions do not allow a PC to drain more than three blood traits per round.
4) Chimerstry: PCs may only conjure a number of active illusions per scene equal to their Subterfuge rating. PCs must create an item card for each illusion they imbue with permanency, and the number of permanent illusions they control may not exceed their permanent willpower score. Permanency only affects illusions created by the first three levels of Chimerstry. Phantasms conjured with Horrid Reality must be of a believable nature. If they are blatantly unrealistic, the target of the power may make a challenge against the phantasm's creator in order to disbelieve the illusion. Willpower may be spent as a retest during this challenge. When attempting to disbelieve an application of Chimerstry, an individual using Auspex may engage in a mental vs social challenge against the person who created the illusion using the rules detailed in Auspex as listed above. A storyteller must be present to narrate the effects of Horrid Reality. A PC may not declare instant staking, decapitation or death through use of Horrid Reality.
5) Dementation: Voice of Madness is a targeted effect which requires a full turn of speech, the user's voice to be heard and appropriate roleplaying. The courage test provoked by Voice of Madness is made against 4 traits, and willpower may be spent for a retest. A Storyteller (not a Narrator) chooses the derangements affecting the victim of Total Insanity. This is because a Storyteller can be privy to, or ask questions about, aspects of a PC's psyche or background that a Narrator cannot.
6) Dominate: All Dominate powers require the user to meet the gaze of his intended victim (direct eye contact both ways – Your victim must see your eyes and you must see theirs). Mesmerism commands cannot directly put a PC in harm's way (IE: a PC cannot be dominated to shoot himself, but he could be dominated to shoot someone else if they would normally be able to do so - Dominate commands do not overpower Vinculum ratings.) If a PC is dominated to do something that would put them at a sufficient amount of personal risk, or are unable to fulfill a dominate command due to extenuating circumstances, they forfeit their current action due to the crisis of conscience the command causes them. A PC using Possession must be signed into game, and their body must be within the city.
7) Fortitude: When using Resilience or Resistance, a PC is considered to win on ties and may retest with the Survival ability as long as they possess at least one Stamina related physical trait. A PC must declare the use of Aegis before engaging in the two simple tests for staking challenges, at which time the PC's Aegis is considered active (he receives no further wounds during that round). A PC may declare the use of Aegis in order to prevent the withering or crippling of limbs, but must do so immediately after the challenge is resolved. If he does so, his Aegis is considered active until the end of the round. Once Aegis is declared active, no further physical ailments may be inflicted upon the user, including bestowing negative traits, and all wounds previously received during that combat round are negated.
8) Menominee: Is stupid.
9) Necromancy: Soul Stealing does not affect supernatural creatures. Daemonic Possession does not affect Garou or other supernatural creatures even after they have been killed. Vampires using Possession, Psychic Projection or other powers that leave their physical body a lifeless husk are not immune to Daemonic Possession, but the user must defeat them in a social challenge. Willpower may be used as a retest by the defender, who may immediately return to their body if they successfully defend themselves on the challenge.
10) Obeah: No.
11) Obfuscate: Each level provides a +1 trait bonus for the purposes of resolving ties and overbids with Auspex. See Auspex. Using Mask of 1000 faces to mimic an individual requires the PC to spend an additional mental trait and win a static mental challenge with a difficulty of the target's social traits. Vanish from the Mind's Eye is considered an aggressive mental challenge. Cloak the Gathering may be stacked, since individuals under the Cloak can still sense each other normally, and individuals under this power may also use their own Obfuscate to hide themselves - from each other as well as onlookers - as long as they meet the prerequisites for the powers they choose to use.
12) Obtenebration: When blood is spent to activate Shroud of Night, the Shroud appears at the end of normal actions and before celerity actions. Arms of the Abyss appear at the end of the combat round on which were summoned and act last on normal actions the following round. A PC can only summon as many Arms of the Abyss as their total levels of Obtenebration (a maximum of 5), and may only control as many as their total levels of the Occult ability. Arms may either grapple or strike, but they cannot wield weapons effectively. The turn after a successful grapple, Arms may “clinch” or “squeeze” for damage. Arms that are not being controlled do not act. A PC may summon Arms of the Abyss as many times a scene as they wish, but must spend additional blood traits and social traits to do so, as well as dismiss any Arms in excess of their applicable summoning total first. Dark Steel costs two blood traits and gifts a PC's Arms of the Abyss (not their black metamorphosis) with six total physical traits, and allows the Arms to inflict an additional level of damage. Each additional blood trait spent during the creation of Dark Steel Arms of the Abyss gifts one Arm with two additional physical traits and an additional six feet of length. Players may "bank" blood to gift their Arms of the Abyss or Dark Steel with additional traits prior to summoning them. All Brawl attacks made during Black Metamorphosis inflict the clumsy negative trait upon the victim and those traits remain as long as the user of Black Metamorphosis maintains physical contact with the victim. Individuals that strike or initiate a grapple against a PC in Black Metamorphosis do not receive the clumsy negative trait. Tenebrous Form lasts until sunrise. A PC cannot “sleep” in Tenebrous Form during the day.
13) Potence: Prowess refreshes all physical traits. PCs are not required to declare use of the Bomb or their ability to win ties. Potence confers no defensive bonuses on non-contested challenges. Objects thrown with Potence do not receive any bonuses, that is a function of Celerity. A jumping PC lands after celerity actions are resolved, but before the end of the round, and therefore cannot “Potence Leap” on someone during normal actions. See “Jumping” in the Guidelines section.
14) Presence: A PC declaring the use of Awe gains the attention of all subjects in the room unless contested by a static social challenge. Dread Gaze requires a subject to see or hear, or otherwise perceive the user. Entrancement breaks immediately if the user initiates a physical challenge against the victim and the defender may contest this action by spending blood and bidding traits normally. All Presence powers can be used by a PC exerting Majesty. Majesty is line of interaction within ten steps. You do not need to see someone to be affected by their Majesty, you need only be able to directly interact with them. Majesty only protects the user, it is not the equivalent of the Dark Ages power Shepard's Watch.
15) Protean: Eyes of the Beast is not considered a Form Power. A PC declaring Earth Meld bonds with the Earth at the end of the round. Only Gangrel can benefit from the specialized forms for Shape of the Beast detailed in the Gangrel Clanbook. Kings of New York does not recognize the mechanical affects of Mixed Blessings. Mist Form lasts until sunrise. A PC may not sleep in Mist Form, that is the function of Earth Meld.
16) Quietus: Silence of Death removes the loud negative trait on firearms challenges. Since no sound is audible within the radius of Silence of Death, powers requiring that a PC's voice be heard do not work within the radius of Silence of Death. The radius of Silence of Death is ten steps. Only Assamites can transform their vitae into the toxic equivalent of Scorpion's Touch at will. Blood so converted confers no nourishment upon consumption by other PCs, instead it temporarily removes a physical trait as per Scorpion's Touch. A willpower trait (or Prowess) may be spent to refresh physical traits lost through Scorpion's Touch, but doing so counts as a PC's single nightly physical refresh. PCs are immune to the toxins created from their own blood through the use of Quietus (they cannot be poisoned by weapons coated in their own blood). Dagon's Call only requires physical contact to initiate and can be used reflexively. Scorpion's Touch and Baal's Caress stack with each other. A weapon can only be coated in as many points of blood of each toxin as it has bonus traits (a sword has three bonus traits so it can be coated in three traits of Scorpion's Touch as well as three traits of Baal's Caress) but only one trait of blood from each type is used on a successful strike. Blood spent to coat weapons with both Scorpion's Touch and Baal's Caress remains toxic until it is used up. Taste of Death allows a PC to store and spit a maximum number of blood traits according to a PC's generational maximum for blood expenditure (a 13th generation vampire may store one trait and then spend a blood trait for fleetness to win ties on the ranged attack). Blood traits stored in this way must be used be used before the end of the scene in which they were spent or they are lost. Alternatively, PCs may choose to take the power Blood Essence as set forward in Faith and Fire instead of Taste of Death.
17) Serpentis: Eyes of the Serpent paralyzes a PC until a physical challenge is initiated against them. Once the aggressor has bid a trait, the defending PC can act normally by spending blood and bidding traits of his own. Tongue of the Asp can drain a maximum of three blood traits per turn/round.
18) Thanatosis: Is gross and can only be purchased with Storyteller approval. Withering a subject's head renders them incapable of using any disciplines other than Potence, Celerity or Fortitude.
19) Thaumaturgy: All paths and powers follow the rules set forward by countless tiresome packets provided by OWbN. Certain House Rules apply to specific powers, when in doubt, consult a Storyteller (Aaron) or Narrator familiar with Blood Magic. Koldunism: Way of Spirit grants PCs awareness of "everything" in the Skinlands. If the Koldun spends an additional Willpower and engages in a static social challenge as described in the Koldunism packet they may also view either the Astral Plane or the Penumbra, but only one additional realm may be viewed at a time. Kolduns cannot see into the rshadowlands or horizon realms. If the Koldun wishes to detect obfuscated or otherwise hidden entities, the PC must defeat the hidden character in a mental challenge.
20) Valeren: Burning Touch can be ignored on a round by round basis through the expenditure of Willpower as detailed on page 108 of LotNR. If a PC is under the effect of a power or condition that provides them with complete immunity to pain or all wound penalties they suffer no ill effects from Burning Touch (Endurance doesn't count since PCs still suffer the penalties for being bruised). In Kings of New York, Salubri Antitribu possess the power Armor of Caine's Fury as set forth in Faith and Fire instead of Ending the Watch.
21) Vicissitude: Fleshcraft is considered a carrier attack. The additional health level gained through Fleshcraft is considered to be a "Bruised" health level. Fleshcraft does not confer a bonus trait over generational maximum through the sacrifice of a health level. The use of Fleshcraft may remove the Beastial traits that Gangrel receive after a frenzy during downtime, not during game. Fleshcraft may not be used to remove the repugnant traits from Nosferatu or Ghastly traits from Samedi or Harbingers of Skulls that result from their Clan flaw. The additional damage caused by Bonecraft is considered a carrier attack, and can be soaked or healed as aggravated damage regardless of generational differences. Blood Form must be declared at the beginning of the round, prior to initiating challenges and bidding traits. All permanent modifications made to PCs through the use of Vicissitude must be approved by a Storyteller and may cease to function while a PC is signed in at Kings of New York.
HOUSE RULES: MISCELLANEOUS
Making detonators and bombs out of readily available explosive materials requires use of the Science ability and various electronic devices. Detonators include simple timers and trip-wires (Science 1) contact mines and grenades (Science 2-3) Remote detonators and car bombs (Science 4) and complex mechanisms such as cell-phone detonators or synchronized chain explosives (Science 5)
Making homemade explosive materials requires the use of the Chemistry Hobby/Professional/Expert ability and a makeshift lab. Explosive materials include flammable solutions and black powder (Chemistry 1) Nitroglycerine and Hexamethylene (Chemistry 2) TNT (Chemistry 3) RDX (Chemistry 4) and Chemical Weapons (Chemistry 5)
Preparing charges in an effective manner requires the use of the Demolitions Hobby/Professional/Expert ability and sufficient reconnaissance. The following effects can be achieved through the proper placement of sufficiently powerful explosive devices. You do not collapse a building with black powder, nor do you blow open a simple lock with C4. PCs will be permitted to create small contained explosions (Demolitions 1) controlled explosions (Demolitions 2) blast patterns (Demolitions 3) bridge collapses (Demolitions 4) and full-scale structural demolitions (Demolitions 5).
Bureaucracy, Two traits = $250
Church, Three traits = $250
Finance, Each trait = $1,000
Health, Four traits = $250
High Society, Two traits = $1,000
Industry, Two traits = $500
Legal, Three traits = $250
Media, Three traits = $250
Occult, Three traits = $250
Police, Four traits = $1,000
Political, Two traits = $1,000
Street, Four traits = $250
Transportation, Four traits = $500
Underworld, Two traits = $1,000
1 Trait = $500
2 Traits = $1000
3 Traits = $3,000
4 Traits = $10,000
5 Traits = $30,000
Vehicles will fall into one of the categories below. Just as a Beretta and a Glock are both considered “Pistols," a Mustang and a GTO are both “Sports Cars."
KEY = Vehicle: Safe Speed / Max Speed / Maneuver (Bonus traits)
18-Wheeler: 50 / 80 / -1
6-Wheel Truck: 60 / 90 / 0
Bus: 65 / 100 / 1
Minivan: 70 / 110 / 2
Midsize: 75 / 120 / 3
SUV: 70 / 130 / 4
Luxury Sedan: 80 / 135 / 4
Compact : 75 / 130 / 2
Sport Compact: 80 / 140 / 3
Sport Coupe: 90 / 150 / 4
Sports Car : 100 / 160 / 4
Exotic Car : 100 / 190 + / 5
Motorcycle : 100 / 170 / 6
Safe Speed: No crash checks are needed for tight turns and swerving when traveling at or under this speed unless the driver is weaving through traffic.
Max Speed: This is the top speed the vehicle can achieve.
Maneuver: This is the maximum amount of bonus traits that the driver may add to their physical traits for comparing on ties and overbids while performing maneuvers with that vehicle. Bonus traits from other sources such as a driving specialization and/or Celerity (see below) may be added as normal.
Win: Cosmetic damage, vehicle's speed is halved for the round.
Tie: Vehicle damaged, occupants take 2 lethal damage. Vehicle's speed is halved.
Loss: Vehicle totaled, occupants take 4 lethal damage.
-1 wound if wearing a seatbelt (one action to put on or take off).
-1 wound if air bags deployed. If the vehicle is still operable, the driver must deflate their airbag before continuing the chase.
x2 damage if the vehicle is a motorcycle.
Reduce the vehicles max speed by 30, safe speed by 20, and maneuver by 1. The vehicle (not its tires) is now considered impervious to all ammunition except armor piercing rounds.
Increase the vehicles maneuver rating by 1 and the safe speed by 10.
Increase the vehicles max speed by 20 and safe speed by 10.
If the fleeing vehicle has open terrain in front of it, the driver may activate the nitrous and gain a sudden boost of speed that will enable him to gain one automatic success when attempting to ditch/catch another vehicle. The other vehicle may cancel this with its own nitrous boost if it is able to do so.
Pursuer must make a maneuver check at –2 traits.
Run Flat Tires:
Vehicle may continue driving with damaged tires. Reduce the Safe Speed by 5 and Max Speed by 10 mph and the Maneuver by 1 for every flat tire.
Provides the driver with +2 bonus traits when attempting to ditch a pursuer.
Pursuer must make a maneuver check or suffer damage to all tires.
Win: Fall results in 1 level of Bashing damage.
Tie: Fall results in 1 level of lethal damage.
Loss: Fall results in 2 Lethal levels of damage.
January 21st, 2010
January’s game (Sunday the 31st) will be held at:
The Cellar Bar
8 Railroad Way
Larchmont, N.Y. 10538
Those of you taking the Metro North, just get off the New Haven line at Larchmont. The cross street is Chatsworth Ave. You can see the bar from the Train.
For you drivers, there is on-site parking, and it’s a stone’s throw from I-95.
Be aware that this is a CASH ONLY establishment, and there is no ATM there, so pack your pockets before you come. I’m not sure whether they are serving food at the moment, but there are numerous nearby places to grab chow.
If you haven’t done so already, you need to post your character on puppetprince.com in order to be approved for play at Kings of New York. Please visit the website and join the Kings of New York chronicle to receive regular updates and keep track of your Character Sheet.
Be sure to take a look at the updated House Rules, as well as the rumor’s section on the Forums. Many of you (esp. those of you in a Pack) will need to invest in the new background, Holdings, which is explained in the House Rules.
December 22nd, 2009
From here on in (and by here on in I mean starting Sunday, January 31st which is when the next KoNY will be) characters who are not up on Puppet Prince will not be recognized as active PCs at KoNY. Also, XP expenditures not cleared by the storytellers (and by cleared I mean create an XP expenditure entry in the Journal section on your Character Sheet and post what you're buying/how you're buying it so we can comment) will not be recognized or allowed on your sheet at game. Failure to comply will result in an unhappy KoNY ST, and an unhappy KoNY ST will result in an annoyed Sabbat Coordinator.
Also, the Forums are up and running at www.kony-owbn.com again, so all of you should check them out. There are new pack descriptions, a rumors section (that will be updated monthly), plenty of locations for you to RP with eachother during downtime and soon a link to the new and improved KoNY house rules. So come for a visit and use them regularly.
Finally, if you have influence, contacts, or other applicable backgrounds you want to use during downtime, please send us a message at KonyStaff@Yahoogroups.com. Thanks and happy hunting.
December 10th, 2009
And because it is such a horrible time of year for me, KoNY's December game is canceled. We will resume play on the fourth Sunday in January. Take this time to reflect on the events of the past year and prepare yourselves (and your characters) for what is to come. From all of us on staff, Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, Happy Kwanza, and we'll see you next year.
October 25th, 2009
I'd like to thank each and every one of you for making this past Palla Grande the best one I have ever been a part of. It was a pleasure storytelling for you all, and it will be an experience I will not soon forget. Look for new rumors and IC threads on the http://www.Kony-Owbn.com website and send a message to the KonyStaff@yahoogroups.com containing your name, character's name and email if you want to join our little community on Ning.
Hail the Sword of Caine.
September 29th, 2009
Make sure you guys get your journal entries and pre-Palla plans submitted before October 20th, as the staff will need a sufficient amount of time to put them into motion.
Pre-Registration is still open: http://kony-owbn.com/?page_id=319
Hope to see you all there.